Update 10/25 5 am Japan time: Apple Pay went online at 5am Japan time. Twitter users report successful Suica loading. I successfully loaded a JR East View Card on iPad Pro 9.7. If you are not seeing Apple Pay on your Apple Pay supported device after updating, try restarting the device.
iOS 10.1 had been released. As expected the update brings Apple Pay to:
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus devices sold in Japan for store, App and web purchasing
- Suica transit and purchase support nationwide
- Suica reloading with Apple Pay in Wallet and Transit Pass renewal
For Apple Pay information see the Apple Pay Q&A Intro.
iOS 10.1 also brings transit support to Maps for
- Every major train, subway, ferry and national bus line. Local bus routes for Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya.
- Underground arcade and major station passageway mapping, transit transfer information based on station premise mapping
- Transit fare route comparisons
For a Japan transit introduction see the review.