JRE POINT is the JR East point system for Suica (Apple Pay Suica), View Card (credit card) and JRE POINT Card (plastic point card and multifunction credit + point card). Here is a quick overview guide to help you get the most out of using Apple Pay Suica, View Card and JRE POINT. JR East has streamlined the account setup and point exchange process over the past year and continues to improve it. Once setup is complete you can start racking up points for free Suica Recharge or purchases.
JRE POINT Setup
Step 1: Basic items
- Apple Pay Suica: If you only have a single Suica card use that, if you have multiple Suica cards you have to choose one for earning JRE POINT
- Suica App: Mobile Suica/Suica App account required, Suica App is where you receive points for free Suica Recharge
- JRE POINT Card: The plastic point card is not necessary to get an online account but highly recommend for earning maximum JRE POINT with Suica
- JR East VIEW Card: optional but highly recommended and you can set it up to Auto-Charge Apple Pay Suica.
- JRE POINT App
Get a plastic JRE POINT card at any JR station area store displaying the green JRE POINT logo. The JRE POINT Card is free and requires filling out a simple form with name, address and email. Give the store staff the completed form and they will set up the card for you.
Step 2: Create your JRE POINT
The first thing to do is create your JRE POINT account on JRE POINT WEB. You can do this first and link your cards later.
- Create a temporary account with a email address and password. I strongly recommend using the same email address and password you have for Suica App/Mobile Suica. It will make life easier. The JRE POINT web site offers the option to sign in with JR-EAST ID but strongly recommend not using it unless you are very familiar with the JR East online password system.
- After creating the temporary login and password you receive an email to complete the account setup. Follow the link and complete your JRE POINT online account. In addition to the regular login password you also need to set a 6 number PIN that is called #2 Password. Be sure to write this down, I guarantee you will forget it otherwise. The 6 number PIN #2 password is a backup password necessary when confirming account information updates and accessing transaction history.
Step 3: Register related JR East card numbers in your JRE POINT account. This is where you tie Apple Pay Suica, View Card, JRE POINT Card together to your JRE POINT account:
- JRE POINT Card number: you can register multiple JRE POINT Cards, JRE POINT Card number and PIN printed on back of the card, Japanese language JRE POINT registration instructions here.
- Apple Pay Suica ID number: you can only register one Apple Pay Suica, get your Apple Pay Suica ID number in Suica App by tapping “i”, Japanese language Apple Pay Suica/Mobile Suica registration instructions here.
- View Card JRE POINT number: you can only register one View Card, get your View Card JRE POINT number by logging into View’s Net or calling customer support, Japanese language View Card registration instructions here.
Login to the JRE POINT mobile web site and register your Suica, JRE POINT card, and View Card (if you have one). Follow the screenshots and captions below:
Install JRE POINT App on iPhone and log in with your JRE POINT ID and password. The first time you log in you may encounter an annoying ‘confirm you are a person’ step where you have to find all the photos with car, a sign, etc., or enter the number displayed on the screen. JR East has been strengthening the integration between Suica App and JRE POINT App, if you are logged in with Suica App, JRE POINT app launches without requesting a separate login.
When all is set up and you are logged in, the JRE POINT App will display your current JRE POINT balance at the top of the main screen. You can also confirm the cards you have registered with JRE POINT.
Get JRE POINT
There are 4 ways to get JRE POINT:
Green Logo JRE POINT
Use JRE POINT Card with cash, credit card or Apple Pay Suica purchases, user must present plastic JRE POINT Card to get points. Green logo JRE POINT points are added to JRE POINT account instantly. Green Logo JRE POINT Store list in Japanese.
Yellow Logo JRE POINT
Use Apple Pay Suica for purchase at stores, vending machine and self checkout terminals. JRE POINT are added automatically to your JRE POINT account, no need to use the plastic JRE POINT Card. Yellow logo JRE POINT from Apple Pay Suica are added within 24 hours. Yellow Logo JRE POINT in JR Stations or surrounding areas.
VIEW JRE POINT
Use View Card for purchases anywhere, for Apple Pay Suica Recharge and Suica Commute Plan purchase/renewal. JRE POINT are added automatically. View Card JRE POINT are added at the end of the View card billing month.
Apple Pay Suica/Mobile Suica Transit JRE POINT
Use Apple Pay Suica for transit, commute plan purchase or renewal, and Green Car Upgrade purchases, Mobile Suica JRE POINT are added automatically (starting October 1, 2019). at the start of the month based on previous month Apple Pay Suica/Mobile Suica transit use.
Do some research to find a card combination that makes your money work harder. For example: BIC CAMERA VIEW JCB Card + Apple Pay Suica + JRE POINT gets you JRE POINT and BIC CAMERA Points with purchases and Apple Pay Suica Recharge. BIC CAMERA points can be used to purchase items at BIC CAMERA. I usually use BIC CAMERA points to pick up Apple brand iPhone cases and other related items.
Exchange JRE POINT for Suica Recharge
Step 1: JRE POINT App Suica Recharge
We finally arrive at the fun part of this whole exercise: exchanging JRE POINT for a free Suica Charge. Open JrePoint App, login if needed, follow the screenshots and captions below. 1 JRE POINT converts to 1 yen, 500 JRE POINTS for a 500 yen Suica Recharge, etc.
Step 2: Receive Suica Recharge in Suica App
Launch Suica App and confirm that your Suica card is selected. Tap Ticket Purchase•Suica Management in the lower right menu, tap Suica Pocket, tap the Suica Point Charge amount, tap Suica Charge, as shown in the screenshots below.
That’s it. Your JRE POINTS have been converted into Suica e-money you can use for Apple Pay Suica transit or purchase that get you more JRE POINT. This guide barely scratches the surface. There are many more options and configurations available. Take some time with it and you’ll be rewarded with much smarter Apple Pay Suica use.
JRE POINT and JAPAN CASHLESS rebate program
In tandem with the 10% consumption tax starting October 1, the Japanese government is launching a CASHLESS rebate program that offers a 5% or 2% rebate with cashless purchases at participating stores and purchases on Amazon JP and Rakuten JP online stores. The CASHLESS program is run by the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and will be valid for all cashless purchases from October 1, 2019 until June 30, 2020.
Make purchases at any store displaying the red 5% or 2% CASHLESS logo with a View credit card, by plastic or Apple Pay (QUICPay). Your CASHLESS program rebate amount is calculated by View at billing time and automatically deducted from your monthly credit card bill. There are some limitations:
- The maximum monthly CASHLESS rebate is capped at ¥15,000 per View card
- CASHLESS rebates do not apply to Apple Pay Suica Recharge
Apple Pay Suica
Make purchases at any store displaying the CASHLESS and JRE POINT logo. This also applies to vending machines or self-checkout terminals. There is no rebate for Suica Transit use. CASHLESS program rebate amount is calculated at the end of the month and refunded to your JRE POINT account.
CASHLESS Rebate Strategies
View Card is the winner here because it is not tied to JRE POINT and has a larger footprint: any CASHLESS logo store will automatically give you rebates with a View Card purchase. Apple Pay Suica is at a disadvantage because CASHLESS rebates are tied to CASHLESS + JRE POINT logo stores/vending machines/self-checkout: a smaller footprint.
However JR East is trying to make up for the smaller footprint by offering more JRE POINTS for Suica purchases with a point campaign running concurrently with the CASHLESS rebate program, October 1 to June 30:
We won’t know how things will shake out until the fun starts on October 1. All in all I think I will be making more purchases with my Apple Pay View Card (QUICPay) and fewer with Apple Pay Suica for the duration of the CASHLESS rebate program.