Note: JRE POINT web access is currently limited to Japan locations
JRE POINT is the JR East point system for Suica (Apple Pay Suica), View Card (credit card) and JRE POINT Card (plastic point cards and multifunction credit/point cards). This quick overview guide helps you get the most out of using Apple Pay Suica, View Card and JRE POINT. Once setup is complete you can rack up JRE POINT to get free Suica Recharges. JRE POINT has a beginners guide in Japanese. For English read on.
JRE POINT Setup
Step 1: Basic items
- Apple Pay Suica: use Suica for purchases and transit and get JRE POINT, if you have multiple Suica cards choose one for earning JRE POINT.
- JRE POINT Card: this is a plastic point card for earning maximum JRE POINT with Suica, credit cards and cash. Get a plastic JRE POINT card at any JR station area store displaying the green JRE POINT logo. JRE POINT Card is free and requires filling out a simple form with name, address and email. Give the store staff the completed form and they will set up the card for you.
- VIEW Card: highly recommended credit card for Apple Pay Suica commuters, use View anywhere and get JRE POINT, you can also set View to Auto-Charge your Apple Pay Suica with Suica App. If you have View Card make sure you have setup a View’s NET account.
- JRE POINT App: iOS app for managing the JRE POINT account and exchanging JRE POINT for free Suica Recharge and Green Car Seat upgrades.
- Suica App: Suica App is where you receive free Suica Recharges and Green Car Seat upgrades from JRE POINT. Mobile Suica/Suica App account required, register in Suica App if you do not have one.
Step 1: Create a JRE POINT Card first at any JR station area store.
Step 2: Register a Mobile Suica account if you don’t already have one. Register an account in Suica App.
Step 3 preparation. The next steps explain creating a JRE POINT account and registering your Apple Pay Suica card ID number. It helps to have name, address information, phone number and card information prepared in copy/paste format before stating. Last name, first name needs to be all caps in full roman width and katakana versions, the address in Japanese format.
Step 3: Create a JRE POINT account and Register Apple Pay Suica
- Go to JRE POINT WEB. Create a temporary account with a email address and password. I strongly recommend using the same email address and password you have for Suica App/Mobile Suica, it will make life easier. The JRE POINT web site offers the option to sign in with JR-EAST ID but do not recommend it unless you are very familiar with the JR East online password system.
- After creating the temporary login and password you receive an email to complete the account setup. Follow the link and complete JRE POINT account creation. In addition to the regular login password you also need to set a #2 Password. Be sure to write this down, I guarantee you will forget it otherwise. The #2 password is necessary when confirming account information updates and accessing transaction history.
- After creating the #2 password continue in JRE POINT WEB to register Apple Pay Suica.
- Apple Pay Suica ID: get your Apple Pay Suica ID in Suica App by tapping the card, you can register one Apple Pay Suica. Copy the “Suica識別ID” which will be your Apple ID email address or your Apple ID email address followed by _1, _2, etc. Also have your Mobile Suica password ready.
- Japanese language JRE POINT Apple Pay Suica registration instructions here.
Follow steps in the screenshots and captions below:
Step 4: Register JRE POINT Card and other cards in JRE POINT
- JRE POINT Card number: JRE POINT Card number and PIN printed on back of the card, you can register multiple JRE POINT Cards, the number format is similar to credit cards: 4 groups of 4 digits. JRE POINT Card number registration will take you from JRE POINT App to JRE POINT Web. Japanese language JRE POINT card registration instructions here.
- View Card JRE POINT number (optional): get your View Card JRE POINT number by logging into View’s Net or calling customer support, you can only register one View Card, Japanese language JRE POINT View Card registration instructions here.
Follow steps in the screenshots and captions below:
When all is set up and you are logged in, JRE POINT will display your current JRE POINT balance at the top of the main screen. You can also confirm the cards you have registered in JRE POINT and POINT history in the Members’s page.
Get JRE POINT
There are 4 ways* to get JRE POINT:
*Does not include CASHLESS Rebate JRE POINT covered in JAPAN CASHLESS Rebate section
Green Logo JRE POINT Locations (Instant)
Use JRE POINT Card with Apple Pay Suica, credit card or cash purchases to get JRE POINT. You must present the plastic JRE POINT Card before purchase to get points. Green logo JRE POINT points are added to JRE POINT account instantly. Green Logo JRE POINT Store list in Japanese. You can also use a JRE POINT card at Green logo JRE POINT stores for purchases with JRE POINT.
Yellow Logo Suica JRE POINT Locations (Next Day)
Use Apple Pay Suica for purchase at stores, vending machine and self checkout terminals. Suica JRE POINT are added automatically to JRE POINT account, just wave iPhone to the reader. Yellow logo Suica JRE POINT from Apple Pay Suica are added within 24 hours. Yellow Logo Suica JRE POINT locations are in JR Stations or surrounding areas.
VIEW JRE POINT (Monthly)
Use View Card for purchases anywhere, for Apple Pay Suica Recharge and Suica Commute Plan purchase/renewal. JRE POINT are added automatically. View Card JRE POINT are added at the end of the View card billing month.
Apple Pay Suica Transit JRE POINT (Monthly)
Use Apple Pay Suica for transit, commute plan purchase or renewal, and Green Car Upgrade purchases, Apple Pay Suica/Mobile Suica JRE POINT are added automatically (starting October 1, 2019). at the start of the month based on previous month Apple Pay Suica/Mobile Suica transit use.
Do some research to find a card combination that makes your money work harder. For example: BIC CAMERA VIEW JCB Card + Apple Pay Suica + JRE POINT gets you JRE POINT and BIC CAMERA Points with purchases and Apple Pay Suica Recharge. BIC CAMERA points can be used to purchase items at BIC CAMERA. I always use BIC CAMERA points to pick up Apple brand iPhone cases and other related items and never buy them.
Exchange JRE POINT for Suica Recharge
Step 1: JRE POINT App Suica Recharge
We finally arrive at the fun part of this whole exercise: exchanging JRE POINT for free Suica Recharge. Open JRE POINT App and follow the screenshots and captions below. 1 JRE POINT converts to 1 yen, 500 JRE POINTS for a 500 yen Suica Recharge, etc. Note that free Suica Recharge is only available to Mobile Suica/Apple Pay Suica cards, free Suica Recharge is not available to Mizuho Suica cards.
Step 2: Receive Suica Recharge in Suica App
Launch Suica App. If you have multiple Suica cards confirm that your JRE POINT Suica card is selected. Tap Ticket Purchase•Suica Management in the lower right menu, tap Suica Pocket, tap the Suica Point Charge amount, tap Suica Charge, as shown in the screenshots below.
That’s it. Your JRE POINTS have been converted into a Suica Recharge you can use for Apple Pay Suica transit or purchase that get you more JRE POINT. This guide barely scratches the surface. There are many more options and configurations available. Take some time with it and you’ll be rewarded with much smarter Apple Pay Suica use.
UPDATE: Mizuho Suica was added to JRE POINT, see the JR East press release (Japanese).