iOS 13.4 GM went out last week with the new iPad Pro/MacBook Air announcements. This week we have another hardware announcement rumor and we have the waiting for Godot Apple Pay Octopus launch…reportedly with iOS 13.4 which should officially arrive March 24~25. I agree with Jason Tjong in that if Apple Pay Octopus is coming, it has to come with iOS 13.4.x, the very last major iOS 13 release. The Apple Pay server leak in June listed iOS 13.0 as the minimum system, I don’t think Apple Pay Octopus will get a reset reprieve for iOS 14. TBC.
Should we worry about the typhoon class headwinds from the corvid-19 crisis blowing apart plans around the world? With everything from the Tokyo Olympics to WWDC up in the air, TBC is all we got.
Apple Pay Octopus Timeline
- September 2017: Apple releases global NFC iPhone 8/X and Apple Watch Series 3 setting the stage for Octopus support
- December 2017: OCL launches Smart Octopus on Samsung Pay
- December 2018: Apple Pay Octopus in beta test for possible Chinese New Year 2019 launch in tandem with Hong Kong Transit for Apple Maps.
- January 2019: Samsung updates Smart Octopus on Samsung Pay tagline from ‘only’ to ‘first’
- June 2019: Apple Pay Server JSON code references ‘Octopus’ for iOS 13
- July 2019: OCL announces Apple Pay Octopus ‘coming soon’
- September 2019: OCL CEO Sunny Cheung says Octopus will not launch with iOS 13 debut but “start as soon as possible within the year.”
- December 2019: OCL updates press announcement saying Apple Pay Octopus will launch ‘later in 2020’, releases Octopus App v5.8 with iPhone + iOS 13 NFC recharge support for plastic Octopus cards
- March 2020: iOS 13.4 released, no update from OCL
- April 2020: iOS 13.4.1 released with Apple China T-Union cards for Shenzhen and Beijing, waiting for update from OCL ← Here