The new features that make up 2 in 1 Suica are called many things. JR East calls it ‘Next Generation Suica’ and ‘2 in 1 Region Affiliate Card’. Yanik Mangan came up with ‘All-in-one Suica’ moniker in his limitless possibilities podcast. I call it, and will continue to call it, Super Suica because I see wider Suica platform initiatives built off the new FeliCa OS features used for 2 in 1 • next generation Suica. It’s a looser, fuzzier platform evolution definition instead of one card that does it all.
That doesn’t mean that Super Suica or all-in-one Suica will ever happen they way we envision it. The aim is to give people convenient, easy to understand concepts to discuss and categorize ongoing developments until something official comes along.
This is a list of announcements, launches and posts related to Super Suica as a platform with links to JR Group PR releases, color classifications as follows:
🟩= Suica cards • Suica region extensions
🟧= Mobile FeliCa, Mobile Suica + derivations (Mobile PASMO, Mobile ICOCA)
🟥= FeliCa Standard SD2• New FeliCa OS
🟦= Cloud Suica (transit fare) • JESCA-Cloud (e-Money payments)
🟪= ID-PORT Services
|Date||Category • Announcement||Launched|
|September 2018||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 • FeliCa Standard SD2||2021|
|June 2019||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 for Tochigi|
🟧Rakuten Pay Suica
|September 2019||🟩🟥Cross Region Commuter Passes for ICOCA-TOICA-Suica||2021|
|October 2019||🟧Mobile PASMO (hosted on Mobile Suica)||2021|
|December 2019||🟥🟧UWB Touchless Mobile FeliCa||2024(?)|
|January 2020||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Iwate Green Pass (Iwate)||2021-03|
|March 2020||🟪Eki-Net Shinkansen eTicket service||2020|
|May 2020||🟧Garmin Pay Suica launch|
🟧Rakuten Pay Suica launch
|September 2020||🟥FeliCa Standard SD2 cards with new FeliCa OS features ships|
|November 2020||🟧wena 3 (smartwatch+band) Suica launch|
|October 2020||🟧Apple Pay PASMO launch|
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Iwate
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Hachinohe
|November 2020||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Aomori|
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Akita
🟩🟧🟪 Maebashi MaaS Suica services linked with My Number ID card
|January 2021||🟩Cross Region Commuter ICOCA-TOICA-Suica launch with TOICA & ICOCA region extensions||2021-03|
|March 2021||🟩Cross region exit gates installed at Maibara and Atami stations|
🟧Fitbit Pay Suica launch
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Yamagata announcement
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Gunma announcement (Nolbé)
|April 2021||🟦🟩Cloud Suica & Suica region extension announcement|
🟪 Eki-Net reboot: cloud services and JRE POINT integration
|June 2021||🟧Fitbit Pay Suica expansion|
🟩🟪Disabled fare Suica • PASMO announced for later in 2022
|August 2021||🟩🟧🟪Suica Smart-Lock||2022|
|November 2021||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Shuhoku Orange Pass|
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 TOWANDA
|January 2022||🟧🟪Mobile Suica support for day passes, student commuter passes||2022-03|
|February 2022||🟩🟧🟪Suica bike parking||2022-02|
|October 2022||🟧Google Pay Suica for WearOS||2022|
|November 2022||🟦🟪 Eki-Net QR Tickets||2024-10|
🟩🟥Next Generation Suica 2 in 1 cards
A new card for integrating Transit IC and region cards in new ways focusing on Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate transit cards and FeliCa Standard SD2 • FeliCa OS as the core development. JR Cross Region Commuter Passes included as I suspect they also use SD2 Extended Overlap and represent a step towards cross region through transit for Transit IC.
- JR East and Sony creating ‘Super Suica’ (September 2018): the initial announcement
- FeliCa Standard SD2 (September 2020): New card with new FeliCa OS features such as Extended Overlap for 2 in 1 Suica.
- Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate List (December 2020): master list of Suica 2 in 1 cards.
- JR Cross Region Commuter Passes (January 2020): pre and post launch details.
- Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate Card (March 2021): totra Suica launch details and some inner workings.
🟧Mobile FeliCa • Mobile Suica
The evolution of Mobile FeliCa to include UWB touchless and multiple secure element domains for digital ID, Mobile Suica service expansion and hosting Mobile PASMO and Mobile ICOCA.
- Rakuten Pay for Mobile Suica
- UWB Touchless Mobile FeliCa: Sony, NXP and Docomo team up to deliver Ultra Wideband Touchless Mobile FeliCa
- Mobile PASMO: service launch on Android Osaifu Keitai
- Road to Super Suica:mobile expansion
- Apple Pay PASMO: Mobile PASMO launch on Apple Pay
- Mobile ICOCA: announcement coverage
- Mobile FeliCa multiple secure element domains: for My Number Digital ID cards
- Mobile Suica Lite: streamlined issue for mobile wearables
🟦Cloud Suica • JESCA-Cloud & 🟪= ID-PORT Services
Cloud based fare transaction processing and e-Money store payment processing reduce local processing hardware costs for easy expansion
- JR East Shinkansen eTicket service: end of Mobile Suica Shinkansen ticketing for open Transit IC model
- Road to Super Suica: cloud integration
- Cloud Suica: Suica region expansion and Cloud Suica based fare processing
- 3rd party MaaS services and special ticketing attached to Suica with ID-PORT