The new features that make up Suica 2.0 are called many things. JR East calls it ‘Next Generation Suica’, Yanik Mangan came up with ‘All-in-one Suica’ moniker in his limitless possibilities podcast. I call it Suica 2.0 because there are wider Suica platform initiatives based on the cloud and the Suica 2 in 1 FeliCa SD2 architecture.
It’s a catch all definition for the many parts that make up the Suica platform evolution to gives people easy to understand concepts for discussing ongoing developments until something official comes along.
This is a list of announcements, launches and posts related to Super Suica as a platform with links to JR Group PR releases, color classifications as follows:
🟩= Suica cards • Suica region extensions
🟧= Mobile FeliCa, Mobile Suica + derivations (Mobile PASMO, Mobile ICOCA)
🟥= FeliCa Standard SD2• New FeliCa OS
🟦= Cloud Suica (transit fare) • JESCA-Cloud (e-Money payments)
🟪= ID-PORT Services
🟩🟥Next Generation Suica 2 in 1 cards
A new card for integrating Transit IC and region cards in new ways focusing on Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate transit cards and FeliCa Standard SD2 • FeliCa OS as the core development. JR Cross Region Commuter Passes included as I suspect they also use SD2 Extended Overlap and represent a step towards cross region through transit for Transit IC.
- JR East and Sony creating ‘Super Suica’ (September 2018): the initial announcement
- FeliCa Standard SD2 (September 2020): New card with new FeliCa OS features such as Extended Overlap for 2 in 1 Suica.
- Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate List (December 2020): master list of Suica 2 in 1 cards.
- JR Cross Region Commuter Passes (January 2020): pre and post launch details.
- Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate Card (March 2021): totra Suica launch details and some inner workings.
🟧Mobile FeliCa • Mobile Suica
The evolution of Mobile FeliCa to include UWB touchless and multiple secure element domains for digital ID, Mobile Suica service expansion and hosting Mobile PASMO and Mobile ICOCA.
- Rakuten Pay for Mobile Suica
- UWB Touchless Mobile FeliCa: Sony, NXP and Docomo team up to deliver Ultra Wideband Touchless Mobile FeliCa
- Mobile PASMO: service launch on Android Osaifu Keitai
- Road to Super Suica:mobile expansion
- Apple Pay PASMO: Mobile PASMO launch on Apple Pay
- Mobile Suica Lite: streamlined issue for mobile wearables
- Mobile ICOCA: launch on Osaifu Keitai Android
🟦Suica 2.0 • JESCA-Cloud & 🟪= ID-PORT Services
Centralized cloud based fare transaction processing and e-Money store payment processing reduce local processing hardware costs for easy expansion
- JR East Shinkansen eTicket service: end of Mobile Suica Shinkansen ticketing for open Transit IC model
- Road to Super Suica: cloud integration
- Cloud Suica: Suica region expansion and Cloud Suica based fare processing
- 3rd party MaaS services and special ticketing attached to Suica with ID-PORT
- Eki-Net reboot: more cloud based ticketing services tied to Transit IC cards and JRE POINT integration
- Super Suica Cloud: March 2022 update of JR East cloud initiatives
- It all connects: JR East QR Eki-Net Tickets
- State of Suica 2023
- Suica 2.0 and how it will eliminate Transit IC card barriers