The new features that make up 2 in 1 Suica are called many things. JR East calls it ‘Next Generation Suica’ and ‘2 in 1 Region Affiliate Card’. Yanik Mangan came up with a great ‘All-in-one Suica’ moniker in his limitless possibilities podcast. I call it, and will continue to call it, Super Suica because I see wider Suica platform initiatives built off the new FeliCa OS features used for 2 in 1 • next generation Suica. It’s a looser, fuzzier platform evolution definition compared to Yanik’s tighter all-in-one card solution focused one.
That doesn’t mean that Super Suica or all-in-one Suica will ever happen they way we envision it, but at least we have some convenient handles to discuss and categorize ongoing developments until something official comes along.
This is a list of announcements, launches and posts related to Super Suica as a platform. Announcements are italic with links to JR Group PR releases, launches are bold, color classifications are as follows:
🟩= Suica cards and Transit IC region extensions
🟧= Mobile FeliCa, Mobile Suica + derivations (Mobile PASMO, Mobile ICOCA)
🟥= FeliCa Standard SD2• New FeliCa OS
🟦= Cloud Suica and cloud account services
|Date||Category • Announcement** • Launch*||Estimated Start|
|September 2018||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 • FeliCa Standard SD2**||2021|
|June 2019||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 for Tochigi**|
🟧Rakuten Pay Suica**
|September 2019||🟩🟥Cross Region Commuter Passes for ICOCA-TOICA-Suica**||2021|
|October 2019||🟧Mobile PASMO** (rebranded Mobile Suica)||2021|
|December 2019||🟥🟧UWB Touchless Mobile FeliCa**||2022~3?|
|January 2020||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Iwate Green Pass (Iwate)**|
|March 2020||🟧Mobile PASMO for Osaifu Keitai*|
🟦Eki-Net Shinkansen eTicket service*
|May 2020||🟧Garmin Pay Suica*|
🟧Rakuten Pay Suica*
|September 2020||🟥FeliCa Standard SD2 cards with new FeliCa OS features*|
|November 2020||🟧wena 3 (smartwatch+band) Suica *|
|October 2020||🟧Apple Pay PASMO*|
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Iwate**
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Hachinohe**
|November 2020||🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Aomori**|
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Akita**
|January 2021||🟩Cross Region Commuter ICOCA-TOICA-Suica launch details** with TOICA and ICOCA region extensions (TOICA extensions explicitly for cross region pass support)||March 2021|
|March 2021||🟩🟥Cross Region Commuter Passes for ICOCA-TOICA-Suica*|
🟩Cross region exit gates installed at Maibara and Atami stations*
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 totra and Iwate Green Pass*
🟧Fitbit Pay Suica launch*
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Yamagata announcement**
🟩🟥Suica 2 in 1 Gunma announcement (Noblé)**
|April 2021||🟦🟩Cloud Suica with Suica region extension announcement**|
🟦 Eki-Net reboot: more cloud based attached services and JRE POINT integration
🟩🟥Next Generation Suica cards
A new card for integrating Transit IC and region cards in new ways focusing on Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate transit cards and FeliCa Standard SD2 • FeliCa OS as the core development. JR Cross Region Commuter Passes included as I suspect they also use SD2 Extended Overlap and represent a step towards cross region through transit for Transit IC.
- JR East and Sony creating ‘Super Suica’ (September 2018): the initial announcement
- FeliCa Standard SD2 (September 2020): New card with new FeliCa OS features such as Extended Overlap for 2 in 1 Suica.
- Suica 2 in 1 Region Cards (December 2020): master list of Suica 2 in 1 cards.
- JR Cross Region Commuter Passes (January 2020): pre and post launch details.
- Suica 2 in 1 Region Affiliate Card (March 2021): totra Suica launch details and some inner workings.
The evolution of Mobile FeliCa to include UWB touchless and multiple secure element domains, Mobile Suica service expansion and re-branded assets for Mobile PASMO and Mobile ICOCA.
- Rakuten Pay for Mobile Suica
- UWB Touchless Mobile FeliCa: Sony, NXP and Docomo team up to deliver Ultra Wideband Touchless Mobile FeliCa
- Mobile PASMO: service launch on Android Osaifu Keitai
- Road to Super Suica:mobile expansion
- Apple Pay PASMO: Mobile PASMO launch on Apple Pay
- Mobile ICOCA: announcement coverage
- Mobile FeliCa multiple secure element domains: for My Number Digital ID cards
- Mobile Suica Lite: streamlined service for mobile wearables
Cloud Suica: cloud based fare transaction processing and MaaS Suica payment services without a reader, cloud account attached services.
- JR East Shinkansen eTicket service: end of Mobile Suica Shinkansen ticketing for open Transit IC model
- Road to Super Suica: cloud integration
- Cloud Suica: Suica region expansion and Cloud Suica based fare processing
- Eki-Net reboot: more cloud based ticketing services tied to Transit IC cards and JRE POINT integration