I was very fortunate to cover the Japanese print market and technology for Seybold Reports when the publication still had the original Media PA editorial staff. Up until they were all let go in 2004, Seybold was a great publication, a highly respected industry standard that everybody read. After the purge Seybold limped on passing through several owners, but a golden era was over. Pete Dyson, George Alexander and the Media staff were simply the best group of people I ever worked with.
Here are the Japanese font articles I wrote for Seybold. It is good background material if you want to understand Japanese (CJK) typography design and technology. Most of these are in PDF, eventually I will get web page versions put together and link here. I can be reached at email@example.com
- Inside Hiragino covers the creation and development of the OS X Japanese system font Hiragino.
- The Second Wave of Japanese DTP covers the developments of Japanese high end DTP typography and Japanese Open Type font features.
- SING: The Final Frontier For Japanese DTP looks at Adobe’s failed attempt to solve the Japanese Gaiji font problem.
- JANPS (Japanese Newspaper Production Show) discusses Japanese font developments with Tomihisa Uchida of Iwata Corporation. Uchida san is one of the top Japanese font engineers who has seen and done it all. One of these days I want to sit down with him and do a proper retrospective interview of his amazing career.
- Page 2004 covers Japanese OpenType extended character sets and encoding issues.
- Japanese Handset Publishing examines the short lived phenomenon of keitai novels.
- Quark XPress 8 J covers the release of version 8 and the death of Quark XPress in the Japanese market.