Suica•PASMO Commute Plans are commuter passes that come in plastic and digital varieties. The only difference between regular transit cards and commuter transit cards is that one has a commute plan attached, the other does not. There is no difference using either kind, they both work the same way for transit and payments.
Apple Pay Suica•PASMO has an advantage over plastic in that you can purchase and add a commute plan for any Suica•PASMO you have in Wallet even if it’s a regular non-commuter card. Purchasing a new Commute Plan or renewing Commute Plan past the expiration date requires Suica App or PASMO App, and a free account ID.
Basic Commute Route Patterns
The greater Tokyo Kanto area is a very complex transit system and commute plan purchase reflects this. The basic rule is you can use Apple Pay Suica•PASMO Commute Plans for transit on JR East lines and connecting lines of other rail companies in the Suica/PASMO transit areas, and vice vera. The full list of transfer stations and connecting rail lines is here (Japanese language only).
These are the basic commute plan patterns that can be purchased in Suica App / PASMO App, the basics apply for both:
- For Suica Commute Plans the start point must be a JR East station, the end point can be JR East or PASMO
- For PASMO Rail Commute Plans the start point must be a PASMO member station, the end point can be PASMO or JR East
The start and end station points are only a purchase formality. The way you actually use the commute plan route does not matter, the end point can be your commuting start station. The patterns below apply to both Suica and PASMO, simply reverse the JR East/PASMO names for your commuting situation.
There are special Apple Pay Suica•PASMO Commute Plan routes that cannot be purchased directly in Suica App or PASMO App. These are commute routes where the start point is not a JR East or PASMO station, or commute plans with 2 different routes that connect at one point (example: route #1 Shinjuku~Harajuku + route #2 Yoyogi~Tokyo). Use the Mobile Suica commute plan online form or the PASMO commute plan online form to apply and purchase a Suica • PASMO Commute Plan for special routes.
Suica Commute Plans cannot be purchased for routes that do not include a JR East station point and vice versa for PASMO:
Transfer Plastic Commuter Suica•PASMO to Wallet
Transferring a plastic Commuter Suica•PASMO card to Apple Pay is exactly the same as a regular Suica•PASMO. You can also renew the commuter plan right in Wallet. However be careful of the 14 day Commute Plan renewal window.
Renew or change current Commute Plan
- Renew Current Commute Plan: Suica•PASMO commute plans are valid for 1-3-6 month renewable periods that you choose when renewing the commute plan in Wallet. You must renew a commute plan within the 14 day renewal window before the expiration date the easiest way to renew Suica•PASMO Commute Plan is in Wallet:
Renew an Expired Commute Plan
If you miss the expiration date you must purchase a new commute plan in Suica App or PASMO App with a new start date. must purchase a new commute plan in Suica App or PASMO App with a new start date.
- Renew a Suica commute plan past the expiration date:
- Tap Purchase/Manage
- Tap Commute Plan > Tap New
- Tap New Plan from Previous Route
- Choose 1-3-6 month validity and start date>purchase with Apple Pay
- Renew a PASMO commute plan past the expiration date:
- Tap Purchase/Manage
- Tap Rail Commute Plan or Bus Commute Plan > Tap New plan from previous
- Choose 1-3-6 month validity and start date
- Purchase with Apple Pay
Your Apple Pay Suica•PASMO Commute Plan is renewed and ready to go. It is not a new Suica•PASMO card, it is the same card with a new Commute Plan, start date and validity period.
- Change Commute Plan: If you need to change the commute plan (station points, transfer points) renew the plan with Suica App or PASMO App during the 14 day renewal window before the expiration date, choose Renew and set new station points similar to the purchase section below
- Cancel and Refund Commute Plan: If you need to change or cancel your commute plan before the expiration see the Cancel and Refund Commute Plan section below.
- FREX/Student Commute Plans/Special Routes: Suica App does not support direct purchases for FREX Shinkansen Commute Plans, Student Commute Plans and Special Routes that cover more than 3 different companies, 2 separate commute routes or mixed Green car and regular commute sections. These commute plans have to be purchased online on the Mobile Suica site by different category, all forms are Japanese language only:
- PASMO Bus Commute Plans: Apple Pay PASMO offers a rich selection of bus commutes sorted by transit company. Each company offers vastly different plan options and price tiers. Be sure your bus route is an IC bus routes with PASMO support.
Purchase a new Suica Commute Plan
A Suica Commute Plan can be attached to any Suica card in Wallet. In Suica App select the Suica card you want to add a Commute Plan to, tap Commute Plan in Ticket Purchase and follow the screenshot steps and captions below to set station points and purchase the plan:
Purchase a new PASMO Rail Commute Plan
Purchase a PASMO Bus Commute Plan
Cancel and Refund Apple Pay Suica Commute Plan
Refund of a current plan costs an upfront ¥220 processing fee. The refund amount is calculated on how many valid days are left before expiration. If too close to the expiration date you won’t get a refund. To cancel your commute plan and get a refund follow the screenshots below. Note that refunds are made back your to Apple Pay credit/debit card used to purchase the commute plan. The commute plan is invalidated immediately but you can still use it as a regular Suica for purchases and transit. You can also purchase a new commute plan for the Suica at any time with Suica App.
Set the Commute Plan Expiration Option: after purchase you are presented with a commute plan expiration option to allow regular Suica SF (Stored Fare) balance use after the commute plan expires. Choose Allow or Disallow:
- If you choose allow and forget to renew your commute plan you might end up using the more expensive Suica SF fare without realizing it.
- If you choose disallow, Apple Pay Suica stops working on your expired commute plan route, forcing you to renew the commute plan.
Follow the screenshot instructions below. These last 2 steps complete the Apple Pay Suica Commute Plan purchase process.
You can also set a commute plan expiration warning sound in Suica App. The commute plan warning is a special 2 beep sound that emits from the transit gate, not your iPhone or Apple Watch, from 14 days before expiration. You can hear the sound in the video below.