Suica App is very handy but comes with serious limitations for inbound visitors:
- Suica App is Japanese language only
- Suica App only accepts Japanese issue cards for registration
An English version of the app is certainly coming before the Tokyo Olympics, likely arriving in tandem with the new JR East Shinkansen eTicket system in April 2020.
Fortunately we have the English language SuicaEng app for adding a virtual Suica card, and we also have direct virtual Suica card creation in iOS 13 Wallet that eliminates dealing with SuicaEng or Suica App. And if you need to purchase anything in Suica App, such as Commuter Plans or Shinkansen eTickets, it can all be done with your Apple Pay cards.
Suica App has good security, but if you forget your Mobile Suica account password or attempt to register an international issue credit card, you can get yourself security locked out of Suica App and Mobile Suica. Here’s how to unlock the Suica App security lock and get a new password issued.
The first thing you need to do is write down your Mobile Suica registration details:
- Last name, first name in Romaji/Kanji and Katakana
- device phone number
- Japanese postal code number
- Mobile Suica registration e-mail address
- An e-mail address you want the password reset sent to, this can be the same as the Mobile Suica registration e-mail
Once you have this information ready, go to this Mobile Suica Password Reset form. Follow the screenshot example below and enter the information. After entering the information click or tap on the button to verify the information, if all looks good click or tap the send button at the bottom of the verification screen.
You will receive a Mobile Suica password reset message from email@example.com, messages can take up to 2 hours to arrive. Be aware that Mobile Suica issues password resets daily from 9:00 to 20:00 Japan Standard Time (JST), if your request arrives outside of those hours, it will be processed the next day.
After you obtain a new password from Mobile Suica, login to Suica App using the new password. You can then change the password in Suica App, follow the screenshots below:
In the event that Mobile Suica Support requests that you contact them to remove the security lock on your account you only have 2 options, both of them require Japanese language ability:
- Mobile Suica Support Line: 050-2016-5005 (Japanese Language only)
Hours: Daily 8:00~22:00 JST
- Mobile Suica Support Online Chat (Japanese Language only)
Hours: Daily 8:00~22:00 JST
For either option have the following pieces of information ready:
- Last name, first name in Katakana
- Mobile Suica registered device phone number
- Mobile Suica account ID
- Suica card ID number
- Suica card ‘Shikibetsu’ ID: this is the same as your Apple ID or slightly different with an ‘_1’ or ‘_2’ appended at the end
When using the chat option you type a request such as ‘Mobile Suica account has a security lock that I want unlocked.’ The next step is passing though a few canned support responses before being connected to an online support person. They will then ask you to confirm your account with the above information. Confirm to the support person that your Mobile Suica account has a security lock that you want unlocked.